Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sea level to clack height

I realize that it's been a bit quiet around here lately. Lots of moving of late: one night here, two nights there. This translates into a quick unpacking of essentials, instantaneous determination of the best things to take advantage of in a particular area and then absorbing as much as possible in a short amount of time. Days are shorter here: it's Winter and we just passed the Solstice. Anyway, I'm not complaining, but if I do this again, I will plan a longer stay and will spend more time in each place.

And on this trip I look forward to my travel days because I can see such vastly differing landscapes in a short span of time. Yesterday was the best example so far: I went from Wellington (basically sea level) to the mountains within hours. Then it was back to sea level again in Takaka on the northern end of the South Island. Sunrise on the ferry and sunset a few minutes from my hostel. Here's my journey in a few snaps:

crossing Cook Strait

clacks spotted between Picton and Nelson

While all snaps on this post were taken from moving vehicles, this one came from the drive between Nelson and Takaka... gives you some indication of the driver's speed!

Sunset near Takaka after crossing a mountain with the most switchbacks (and craziest driving) to date - reminded me of India for a moment

No comments:

Post a Comment