Monday, June 24, 2013

Everything changes after dark

An afternoon dip in geothermal pools at the Polynesian Spa in Rotorua was so relaxing that I decided to return to soak up super moon rays after dark.

Everything changes after dark.

While the afternoon soak was shared with Asian couples, in the evening I found myself surrounded by large parties of New Zealanders. Blending in was out of the question, so I shifted into mermaid mode, gliding through steamy waters like Esther Williams in an Ed Wood film.

Needless to say, I was singled out by a chatty gentleman from Dunedin who sidled over to my quiet corner when his friends departed for cooler climes. Seemingly oblivious to the near-boiling sulphurous puddle, he proceeded to embark on an hour long diatribe that seamlessly connected the war in Afghanistan to dairy farming to Hokey Pokey ice cream (yet another endorsement for the treat which I have yet to try).

Meanwhile, I managed to avoid lobster syndrome by slithering to the teak sitting wall with each shift in subject. Perhaps this was his plan all along (which would explain the increasingly rapid subject changes). Or was he hoping that I might be wooed by the romantic setting and cemented in place by the minerals seeping through my pores? We'll never know. Departing with the "meeting a friend" excuse, I slipped right out of his hands.

After all, there's no hokey pokey allowed in the Polynesian geothermal pools ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment