Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Back to Sea Level

 
 Coming down from the mountains can be a challenge:

First, there's the issue of  air pressure. My ears were so well adjusted to the high altitude that when the first set of switchbacks ended in valley, I was back to deaf ears (well, really, a one-eared deafness - probably worse for the comparison). I might have attributed this to a mild cold that was working it's way out except for the fact that on the ascent of the next "hill" my ears returned to normal.

Secondly, there's culture shock to contend with. Phones, internet, tv, shops, and restaurants were never in sight way up there at the Anahata Yoga Center. And as much as I enjoy it when I'm in the middle of it all, it is a big adjustment to return after a week of minimal stimulus. Since the week's retreat was all about being more mindful* during waking hours, adjusting in and out of a quieter life has been another chance to apply the process of awareness. Needless to say, this is why this blog has been a bit quiet of late. I will do some catching up over the next couple of days.

Finally, there is a letting go that is a necessary part of retreat. Spending lots of hours with others in a close situation has the potential for powerful bonding. It is possible to keep to oneself in these situations, but that's not where the gems are generally found. During retreat I have a tendency to form close bonds with one or two others and, in keeping with this trend, I found a great friend in Annie. I knew as soon as I met her that we would get along well: she is generous, open, receptive to new ideas and knows how to "get things done" when things are needing to get done. That, and she shares my sister's name, although I didn't realize this at first (in New Zealand many vowels are pronounced in slightly different tones. In this case, Annie sounds more like "Ennie" in East Coast US English parlance). We spent a powerful week chatting, rooming, Karma-yoga-ing, eating, chanting, and meditating together, and although there was no sense of exclusivity to our friendship, Annie was always the one I could turn to when I needed reminders of home.

It was Annie that I descended the mountain with, de-briefing from the dramas of our week in a beautiful café in Motueka just before parting on Sunday. And it's Annie that I miss the most these 4 days later. I hope we stay in touch, but for now I must let go knowing that there is a chance that we may never meet again. That is the reality that has been so hard to come to terms with during these weeks of travelling so far from home. It's been hard adjusting, and yet, I wouldn't trade these friendships (however brief) for anything.



* actually we were practicing yogic awareness - slightly different than Buddhist mindfulness

No comments:

Post a Comment